This episode was hosted by:
Katie Floyd – Mac Power Users http://www.macpowerusers.com Twitter- @katiefloyd
John F. Braun – The Mac Observer’s Mac Geek Gab http://www.macgeekgab.com/, Monday’s Mac Gadget http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/features/mondays_mac_gadget/ Twitter – @johnfbraun
Allison Sheridan – NosillaCast Podcast http://podfeet.com Twitter @podfeet
Adam Christianson – http://www.maccast.com Twitter – @maccast
Victor Cajiao www.Typicalmacuser.Com Twitter – @victorcajiao
In this episode we discussed the iPad:
How we got our iPads
preorder vs. reserve vs. show up?
how was it?
- typing is better than I thought
- heavier than I thought
- hard to plug in the connector
- can’t figure out how to sync up my podfeet.com email
- tried creating calendar event – add invitee, but NO….
- gathers dust and finger prints pretty easily
- Apple case: $39, bought it instead of a dock, weird flap, very thin, roundy standing up, maybe it will get a crease? not very Apple-like, kinda hinky.
- Fail on download of Pages. Had to download via iTunes. Didn’t tell me it failed, just stopped and didn’t show up. grrr… trying to download again told me I had to go to iTunes
Mini rant 2: I did go out and get 1PW for iPad and then found out I did not have to do that. 1PW did send out a link to clarify but I had not seen it before. I put a post up to let people know and that has a link to the iTunes store to get a refund.
- Some are VERY expensive
- Ability to do hybrid Apps
- Some developers (1Password) are offering iPad upgrades for those who have alerady purchased.
- Other developers are requiring you to purchase new versions at a premium
Mini-rant about apps, a well-written app, be it on a iPhone/iPod Touch, Mac, PC or iPad, should not make assumptions about screen size. If companies are just charging extra for something they should have done to begin with, that’s a ripoff. If it takes advantage of the features of the iPad, that’s different.
- The old raster (bitmap) versus vector (paths) font issue
- iPhone apps at (2x) size suck
- Seems older cables will charge when connected to AC adapter, but not computer
- Older cables will not sync
- You will get a “not charging” message
- Bluetooth Keyboard
- Apple Case
- charger for car – USB Kensington http://store.apple.com/us/product
LCD Visibility Outdoors
- Any different than any other LCD screen?
- Mac OS X 10.5.8+ required
iPad versus Baseball Bat:
Best and Worst apps:
Worst – we give them 60 days to fix them
- Netflix but we applaud them for being there
- Wall street journal – expensive AND popup ads! plus it’s slow, unintuitive
- Marvel (free with some free comics)
- Google Maps
- Drawing Pad
- USA Today
- ABC App (no scrubbing through the movie tho)