This week’s show is hosted by:
Allison Sheridan – NosillaCast Mac Podcast podfeet.com @podfeet
Katie Floyd – Mac Power Users macpowerusers.com @katiefloyd
John F. Braun – Mac Geek Gab macgeekgab.com @johnfbraun @macgeekgab
David Sparks – Mac Power Users macpowerusers.com MacSparky macsparky.com @macsparky
Lion – Questions/Concerns
- Is there an ability to do a “fresh” install
- We know there’s a “hack for the boot CD”
- What if I don’t have Snow Leopard? What about grandpa, move him or not?
- What if I have limited Bandwidth?
- What’s with all the gesture stuff? Will one *need* trackpad or touch surface to use OS X? will this be too confusing? What about special needs users?
- FileVault 2! Done right, and works on external drives too
- Windows migration, take that, Microsoft!
- Autosave & versioning – particular about window locations this is good…or is it?
- Will developers have to write to the APIs?
- 250 new features: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
iOS 5 – Questions/Concerns
- Many of these offered on other devices/platforms (PC-free, WiFi sync) about time
- Hope Twitter won’t be a baby like they have been with third party devs when it comes to development of clients
- Are we marking the iPad as a PC replacement now? Can iCloud really replace a PC for Backup, Software updates and Sync?
- What about Podcasts? will they wirelessly sync
- “Wireless Sync” to your Mac still requires a power cable
- What about Game Center?
- Importance of iMessage – is it important?
- LOVE camera avail from lock screen
iCloud – Questions/Concerns
- Here’s the article with details on the transition http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597 (keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks)
- What about my other MobileMe stuff? Publishing photos via iWeb? Back to my Mac? what about iDisk? is iWeb gone? (Hope not)
- Big Picture – Different visions
- What if cloud isn’t available? How does this work on local networks? Will this make DropBox obsolete.
- I think this will make the need for Dropbox even greater with no iDisk?
- Will people actually spend more money on other services to replace iDisk?
- Will people actually spend more money on other services to replace MobileMe functionality?
- Novice users at my MUG were very concerned about MobileMe going away, they don’t want multiple services for cloud storage (dropbox), photos (flickr, and others) and their own domains (homepage). They want something simple and “Mac like”
Katie: CardMunch cardmunch.com , itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardmunch-business-card-reader – Free
David: Reeder for Mac – itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder $10
John: Verbatim InSight 320 drive verbatim.com $119
Allison: Flexiglass from nulana.com/flexiglass $8