Allison got to attend D6: All Things Digital hosted by the Wallstreet Journal with hosts Walter Mossberg & Kara Swisher. She gave us some high points of the show:
- Bill Gates in line behind her in the buffet line for Mac & Cheese
- Windows 7 demo – just like the iPhone
- Allison gave Jerry Yang, CEO of Yahoo a hard time – watch the video at d6.allthingsd.com (jump to about 5 minutes in to see her question)
- Then, Gary Shapiro (CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association (the guys who run CES)) to be a judge for the hottest tech gadgets of CES this fall!
- She had Lunch with a corporate VP at Microsoft where he described the amazing bandwidth in China that allows them to do video teleconferencing on their cell phones
- She also saw a prototype of a new SlingBox that would allow you to share from your computer to your home TV, and hopes that it will one day show up on the iPhone
- You can find Allison’s flickr photos of D6: flickr.com
Rumors are flying that .Mac will get a major update and be rebranded “Mobile Me” and the group talks about how we use .Mac and how we use .Mac alternatives that we would like to see integrated into .Mac
- Katie uses BusySync to share her iCal with others and upload to Google Calendar
- David wishes you could use your .Mac account similar to how he uses SugarSync to keep documents on multiple Macs in sync.
- Katie wants to replace Apple’s Backup program with something more similar to Mozy
- And everyone wants to see .Mac get a speed boost.
We also talk about the new 10.5.3 update and the fixes and new featurs it offers.
Lastly, we introduce a new segment called Rapid Fire, where we take questions from the listeners and each member of the roundtable “fires” out a quick answer. We’ll try to do a couple per show, so we need your participation. If you have a “quick question” you want to submit to the group, send it to MacRoundtable@gmail.com and we’ll answer as many as possible. Todays questions:
- What iPhone App are you most looking forward to?
- What’s your crazy prediction for WWDC?