Allison Sheridan – NosillaCast Mac Podcast podfeet.com @podfeet
Bart Busschots – www.bartb.ie impodcast.com @bbusschots
Don McAllister – www.screencastsonline.com
Katie Floyd – macpowerusers.com @katiefloyd
Chuck Joiner – macvoicesgroup.com @chuckjoiner
John F. Braun – macgeekgab.com @johnfbraun
Siri – apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html
Who upgraded who didn’t and why?
Difference in AT&T Upgrade Elligability
Option to move to a different Carrier
- Sprint offering some $125 credit to move (have to ask)
- ETF less than subsidized price
- Concerns about being out of cycle for iPhone 5 next year
- Noticing very poor battery performance – need a few more recharge cycles? (Don)
- Finding lots of nice tweaks everywhere
- Has really slowed down my original iPad – not QUITE as bad as iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G, but typing should NEVER be laggy! (Luckily it’s just for Bart)
Upgrade process – 10.7.2, iOS 5, iCloud, iTunes
- Disappointed that the iWork suite wasn’t upgraded to take into account iCloud sync’ing. Expecting a huge release in the coming weeks with new versions of apps plus full iCloud support for Numbers, Pages and Keynote on the Mac
- Took several hours to make move (servers swamped)
- Lost 20,000 archived email messages in the proces
- Apple recovered – then lost again
- questionable support experience
- MailSteward and Time Machine FTW!
- With a few exceptions like Photo Stream, this seems to be all just Mobile Me 2.0, but with loads of features REMOVED!
- I’m afraid to migrate to iCloud since I still have one machine on Snow Leopard.
- Location reminders very cool – needs some setup in Contacts list
- Can’t do location based reminders on an iPad or Exchange accounts
- Very basic functionality
- No ability to share reminders (household to do list)
- No start/end times
- Limited categories
- Everything syncs to iCal
- So cool! If recipient is capable, input field will say iMessage, otherwise, Text Message.
- Settings | Messages | Receive At shows phone and email messages can be received at, need to use email registered as Apple ID?
- Settings | Messages | Send as SMS will send via SMS if iMessage fails, I had this happen once with person who was iMessage capable
- I have no disabled MMS – this is so great for people who HATE those massive bills.
- Superb for people living in Europe with all those little countries!
- Love having photos show up in Aperture
- No ability to selectively choose what syncs
- No ability to remove individual photos from stream
- Settings | General | iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. Says device must be connected to power, I found I could without power.
- Only automatic sync needs power.
- Problems with Podcasts – deleted off iPhone get re-synced with iTunes
Text Tones by person
Maps alternate routes
Split keyboard on iPad
- Like new AE/AF lock feature, was able to take pic of neon theater sign at night that iOS 4 camera app would fail on.
New Apps – AirPort Utility, Trailers, Find Friends (requires iCloud), Cards
iCloud charging us $40 this year?
John – Rubbernet €30 macobserver.com/tmo/article/rubbernet_shows_whos_hogging_your_bandwidth/
Al – Jettison $2 – eject external drives & put Mac to sleep. credit to Allister Jenks of Sitting Duck Podcast for the find: Jettison : in the Mac App Store
Katie – MailSteward $20 : itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailstewardapp
Bart – iMapMyRide 1.59 Euro: itunes.apple.com (also a free version)
Chuck – AppleTV amzn.to/nHCtAW
Don McAllister: Box.net – 50GB Free storage for iOS 5 users – themacscreencastguy.squarespace.com
Podcast: Play in new window